Originally posted on the Small Victories website
We’ve got a lot of good news to share, but before we dive in, we wanted to let you know that starting next week, we’ll be moving a summer schedule! This just means that we’ll be showing up in your inbox every other week through Labor Day.
We’ll be spending some extra time with family, friends, and fresh air during these warmer months, but do not fear! You can still find us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and we’ll be back to regularly weekly updates just as election season heats up.
Until next time. 😎
-Alison & Stephanie
1. Happy Pride! Antarctica held their first-ever event to celebrate Pride Month… They just had to do their celebrating a few weeks early since the sun is now nearly non-existent up there. 🌈
2. We had 2018’s biggest primary election day this week and there was a lot riding on it. While we’ll still have to fight tooth and nail to retain, and gain, seats this fall, we’ve still got a fighting chance after securing a Democratic challenger in every race. Some other highlights:
👍In a Missouri special election, Democrat Lauren Arthur beat her Republican challenger by 19 points—flipping yet another House seat from red to blue.
👍Deb Haaland, who openly backs abolishing ICE, won her three-way Democratic primary in New Mexico’s 1st District, bringing her one step closer to becoming the first Native American to ever be elected to Congress.
👍Democratic Lauren Arthur won her special election race in Missouri by 20 points—flipping yet another House seat from red to blue.
3. And while we’re on the topic of voting, we loved everything about this 26-year-old’s swearing in ceremony for the Athens-Clarke County Commission in GA—after she won her seat by only 13 votes! #EveryVoteMatters
4. The New Yorker Magazine editorial staff has unionized, becoming the latest in a growing list of media companies to do so. ✊
6. A nationwide food service company is going to switch from plastic to paper straws in its 1,000 cafes by 2019.
7. Connecticut became the first state in the country to pass a law that will allow incarcerated transgender people to be housed according their gender identity.
8. In Florida, a judge ruled that the state’s ban on smokable medical marijuana is unconstitutional.
9. Thanks to a court ruling, the governor of Maine is being ordered to finally begin the process of expanding Medicaid after residents voted for the measure in 2017.
10. Between January 2017 and March of this year, there have been over 6,000 marches, rallies, strikes, demonstrations, sit-ins, and walkouts in the US. Activism in action!
11. An Iowa judge has temporarily blocked the atrocious heartbeat abortion bill while it makes its way through the courts.
13. A judge ruled against the Department of Health and Human Services, saying that organizations should continue to receive grant funding for teen pregnancy prevention programs.
14. Alice Marie Johnson was finally released from prison after serving 21 years of a life sentence for a non-violent drug offense, and it would not have been possible without the help of these amazing women. #NotKKWPeople
15. After two years of organizing by students in Utah, their governor signed a resolution acknowledging climate change is real. As high school junior, Mishka Banuri said:
“I’m hoping that other conservative states, people and students especially see that it is possible to work towards a healthy future and not lose hope.”
18. Hawaii passed a bill to become fully carbon neutral by 2045, the most ambitious of its kind in the US.
21. The European Court of Justice ruled that marriage equality must be recognized by all EU countries.
22. India announced they will eliminate all single-use plastics by 2022.
23. In the UK, the National Health Service will now provide lifetime trauma care and mental health treatment to victims to survivors of sexual assault.
In between all the up and down news stories this week, we found ourselves enjoying killer shows (specifically this one), this wonderful distraction taking us back to our awkward teen dance party days, and these 90 seconds of pure joy.
Your Weekly Songspiration
We wish Trump had felt this way. 😬