Originally posted on the Small Victories website
This is hitting your inbox a little early this week because we’re off to focus our attention on the wonderful people in our lives… and treat ourselves to multiple helpings of mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.
It’s been a tough year, so heading into Thanksgiving, we’re thankful for the chance to spend some quality time with the people we love, while reflecting on all that we do have to be grateful for and how we can do more for others. We’re also grateful for the people who use this day as an opportunity to remember and learn from our past, so we can create a better future.
-Alison & Stephanie
1. The decision is in: Trump is not allowed to deny funding to sanctuary cities, thanks to a federal judge’s permanent ruling.
2. One day after the Trans Day of Remembrance, a second federal judge ruled against Trump’s transgender military ban, and took it a step further by saying the administration can’t stop funding military members’ surgeries.
4. After public outcry, Trump isn’t moving forward with his decision to allow hunters to import trophies from the elephants they killed (for now).
5. Thousands marched in DC to demand that the Trump administration and Congress provide better recovery efforts for Puerto Rico. 🇵🇷 💛
6. When a racist British politician refused to retract harmful and false statements about the anti-fascist group Hope Not Hate, the group took him to court with the help of 16,000 supporters—and won. Not only did he take his comments back, but he’s also out £100K in legal fees.
7. The editorial and video staff at Vox Media announced they are unionizing. #SolidarityForever
9. In a move to combat gerrymandering in Philadelphia, a federal judge ordered Republican leaders to hand over all communication around their redistricting efforts, to determine if their redrawn maps are unconstitutional.
11. After more than 150,000 people flooded the Federal Election Commission with comments, the FEC will write new rules to disclose the funders behind political ads on social media. #KnowledgeIsPower
12. Back in August, we shared a victory about Appolition, an app that coverts your change into bail money. And now a second app, Bail Bloc, will use cryptocurrency to help bring funding to The Bronx Freedom Fund and the Bail Project. Check out this article to learn more. 👍 #EndCashBail
To Karen, Jessica, Vanessa, Amy, Cynthia, Yvette, and all of our readers—we can’t thank you enough for all of the supportive, hilarious, and motivating emails and victories you’ve sent us over the last 11 months.