Last week, in the agonizing hours leading up to the healthcare vote, we read something that stuck with us. Mariame Kaba, an abolitionist, organizer, and writer we admire (and we’re not alone), tweeted messages of hope and support to everyone involved in the fight to protect and expand our care. In particular, this one resonated deeply:
Your weekly songspiration!
2. The ACLU committed at least $5 million to support voting rights for Floridians convicted of felonies. If you live in Florida, they need your help! You can collect signatures or register for an organizing call. #restorethevote
5. An undocumented immigrant in Connecticut was granted a stay of deportation thanks to overwhelming community support, including a crowd of hundreds outside her hearing, a New Haven church that provided her sanctuary, the Worker and Immigrant Rights Advocacy Clinic at Yale Law School, and local immigrant-rights and Indivisible groups. (Thanks, Julia!) Unidad Latina En Acción organizer John Lugo told the crowd,
“Without organizing, we cannot fight back. So let’s remember, if we fight, we win.”
6. The head of the Coast Guard is publicly standing up for their transgender officers.
7. Protesters rallied outside Chase headquarters and other banks around the country to call out their financing of for-profit immigrant detention centers.
8. Senator Jeanne Shaheen saved an Ambassador post for Global Women’s Issues—an important position that advocates for the rights of women and girls around the world.
10. Jordan voted to repeal a law that allowed rapists to avoid punishment if they married their victims.
12. The Seattle City Council passed a bill to rein in surveillance.
13. Tesla employees attempting to unionize delivered a list of demands to the company’s board.
We’re taking a cue from one of our favorites, Maxine Waters, and reclaiming our time (cue the remix) with a Girls Trip to the beaches of Dunkirk, and looking forward to checking this out soon. #NoConfederate
P.P.S. You can’t sue people for being mean to you, Bob.
Want to share a Small Victory? Send it our way! It may show up in a future issue.
Did someone share this with you, and now you want to sign up? Click here!